Thursday, February 8, 2007

Part 2

Here's one from a few days ago::

February 5, 2007

I really enjoyed my classes yesterday. First up, Spanish Cinema. When I signed up for the class a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a dry history of cinema in Spain. Apparently, that was the past…they got a new professor who’s really funny, speaks kind of quickly, but all in all seems like a great guy. Anyway, I think he teaches over at the Universidad de Sevilla en la facultad de comunicaciones. So it could turn out to be pretty intense…and on the suggested reading list was three film theory books. It might not be as hard/long as Film A&A, but we definitely discussed pans, close ups, long shots, etc. The only catch is that it is in Spanish. Extra intensity.

I think I might have angered my host mother when I came home between classes and ate lunch by myself, but no one was home and I did not know when anyone was going to appear. I knew I should have taken a nap. Apparently I cannot just eat a meal on my own, I guess I misinterpreted a snack to be a meal? But seriously, the lack of snackage is killing me. Today I’m going to go to the Corte Ingles to fortify myself. For breakfast, we have two pieces of toast and some chocolate milk which is good. Then at 2/3 pm we have lunch. Dinner is at 9. There isn’t really a lot of food at these shindigs. Or I guess enough but because there are such long stretches between meals it is difficult.

Anyway, I had to walk back to school. On the way I got lost again. It’s so frustrating because I feel like the streets are continually shifting everywhere. And they are tiny and winding and I put myself at risk of getting run over all the time whenever I step out. I had a dance class in the afternoon. It was a lot of fun, and there are actually six boys in the class. Which has to be almost half of the entire male population in the Center. Then I had my poli-sci class. The professor is a sweet guy, he was asking us all about Hillary Clinton. My host mother asked us about her the other day too. What is it with Hillary? Generating international buzz already. Oh Evan Byah, where are you? And apparently John Edwards is back in the race, but taking a more aggressive stance this time around. Seriously, it’s going to be some dark horse that pulls out either party’s nomination.

In other news, I got an email from Danielle today talking about censorship in Singapore and the restrictions on the free flow of information. It made me think a little bit about the media aspect of life here. Except….when I watch the news it is very hard for me to understand because unless there are politicians speaking (they speak slowly and with measure - bless their souls) the anchors speak quickly. I have always taken advantage of the ability to communicate. Here, it is more difficult to understand and be understood because I’m at a very low reading and speaking level, although reading is improving leaps and bounds. I don’t think twice at home about flipping on the TV to watch the news; here, so desperately I want to be able to understand and all I can do is watch the b-roll (oh News I). Also, now that I don’t have regular access to a TV or hard copy of a paper, when I can use the internet to check headlines I’m out of control.

One last note for tonight. The plaza near the Catedral where the dreaded bird poop incidence took place is quickly becoming my favorite spot, despite said incident. I always wind up back there when I’m walking around aimlessly and I’m lucky enough to get to pass it every day on my way to school. It’s very open and wide and is the intersection for the Giralda, Catedral, Museo Bellas Artes and the Alcazar. And the street that leads out to Menedez is really beautiful as well. But anyway, I just love the Catedral. I’m very fascinated by it, and when we went to Church there Sunday it was the first time in three days that I felt at home and at peace.

No comments: